KIDS is a game of crowds. The project consists of a short film, an interactive animation and an art installation.
KIDS is the second collaboration of filmmaker Michael Frei and game designer Mario von Rickenbach after their project Plug & Play. The project is co-produced by Playables, SRG SSR and Arte. The game is published in collaboration with Double Fine Presents for mobile devices and computers.
- Release Date: 2019-05-28
- Developer: Playables
- Publisher: Double Fine Presents
- Play time: 15-30 minutes
- Price: $ 2.99
Awards & Recognition
- World Premiere: 2019-02-10 (Berlinale)
- Duration Film: 9 minutes
- Film Festival Distribution: Some Shorts
- Film Sales: Interfilm
An animated short exploring group dynamics. How do we define ourselves when we are all equal? Who is steering the crowd? What if it is heading in the wrong direction? Where does the individual end and the group begin? What is done by choice, and what under duress?
The installation is divided into three parts: interactive scenarios, an installation of up to 50 puppets and a presentation of the production process. The setup is easily adaptable to different settings in museums, galleries or at events.
Exhibition Trailer MuDA
The installation premiered at the Museum of Digital Arts (MuDA) in Zürich, Switzerland in February 2018.
Ein aufwändiger Beta-Test
- 3daysofdesign, Copenhagen DK, 23. May - 25. May 2019
- Kein Museum, Zürich CH, 10. May - 12. May 2019
- Flatpack Festival, Birmingham GB, 30. April - 5. May 2019
- NTT InterCommunication Center ICC, Tokyo JP, 15. December 2018 - 10. March 2019
- Museum of Contemporary Art Metelkova, Ljubljana SI, 27. November – 9. December 2018
- Fantoche, Baden CH, 5. September - 9. September 2018
- Museum of Digital Art, Zürich, 3. February - 4. March 2018 (Debut)
Behind the Scenes
The characters in a crowd behave much like matter: They attract and repel, lead and follow, grow and shrink, align and separate. KIDS are purely defined by how they relate to one other - without showing any distinguishable features.
KIDS was made using traditional 2D hand-drawn line animation in black and white. The animation was assembled, composited and choreographed using a game engine with a custom-made animation system in conjunction with physics simulations.
KIDS Developer's Cut (Excerpt)
Playables is a production company based in Zurich, Switzerland. Playables was founded by Michael Frei and Mario von Rickenbach.
KIDS is the second collaboration of director and animator Michael Frei and game designer Mario von Rickenbach after their award-winning animated short film and short game Plug & Play.